The global small drone market size is expected to showcase exponential growth by reaching USD 46.68 billion by 2028. This is attributable to the growing demand for pocket-sized miniature drones for several industrial and commercial applications across the globe. This information is published by Fortune Business Insights, in its latest report, titled, “Small Drone Market Size, Share & COVID-19 Impact Analysis, By Type (Fixed Wing, Rotary Wing, and Hybrid Wing), By End-use (Military & Defense, Consumer, and Commercial & Civil), By Maximum Take-off Weight (Less than 5 Kg, 5-25 Kg, and Above 25-150 Kg), and Regional Forecast, 2021-2028.” The report further observes that the market stood at USD 9.31 billion in 2020 and is likely to exhibit an excellent CAGR of 22.86% between 2021 and 2028.
Drones provide a viable way for health service providers to enhance their efficiency and capacity to provide services to patients, particularly those in difficult-to-reach regions. Therefore, the increasing utilization of drones for healthcare purposes during the COVID-19 pandemic will boost the small drone market growth. In an interview in June 2021, Zipline CEO Keller Rinaudo stated that the business had delivered at least 2.6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine to Ghana. By the end of the year, the firm intended to supply nearly 2.4 million more, with a special focus on rural and roadless areas.
AeroVironment Introduces Quantix Recon to Aid in Surveillance of Farming Crops
In April 2020, AeroVironment, a leading manufacturer, announced the launch of Quantix Recon, an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) deployed for military purposes. The drone is based on the company’s Quantix drone, a civilian UAV designed for farm surveys. According to the company, the Quantix Recon is capable of doing aerial reconnaissance by adopting automated flight paths and consists of two 18-megapixel cameras. These cameras capture multispectral images and true colors.
The company reports, “The drone efficiently addresses high-resolution mapping in both multispectral and color bands, and is designed to deliver full-motion, real-time videos.” Such initiatives are likely to contribute to the growth of the market in the forthcoming years.
Increasing Adoption of Miniature Drones to Propel Market Growth
Technological advancement in sensors, weight, software, and drone size leads to the development of pocket-sized miniature drones for several industrial and commercial applications. These small drones are equipped with several parts and components such as payload, camera, hardware, and autonomous software that aid in improving the efficiency in operations. Additionally, the growing demand for small drones from defense forces and law enforcement agencies to enhance surveillance and monitor high-tension areas is expected to drive the global market during the forecast period.
To get a detailed report summary and research scope of this market, click here:
Key Players Focus on R&D Activities to Develop Advanced Drones & Boost Sales Revenue
The global market is consolidated by major companies focusing on investment to develop advanced small drones that are equipped to carry out several intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) activities. Additionally, other key players are striving to maintain their presence by adopting mergers and acquisitions, partnerships, and collaboration strategies that will uplift the small drone market share.
- June 2021: Drone Delivery Canada Corp, with the support of its sales agent Air Canada signed a commercial agreement with DSV Air & Sea Inc. Canada ("DSV"), to renew & extend the internal Sparrow drone route project.
List of the Companies Profiled in the Global Market:
- DJI (China)
- 3D Robotics (U.S.)
- Parrot Drones (France)
- AeroVironment Inc. (U.S.)
- Kespry (U.S.)
- Delair (France)
- Textron (U.S.)
- Autel Robotics (U.S.)
- Yuneec (China)
- Northrop Grumman (U.S.)
- BAE Systems (U.K.)
- Isreal Aerospace Industries Ltd. (Israel)
- Elbit Systems Ltd. (Israel)
- Zipline (U.S.)
Further Report Findings:
- North America stood at USD 4.50 billion and is projected to gain momentum backed by the presence of established drone manufacturers in the region. Additionally, the high military and defense budget in the countries such as the U.S. is expected to boost the adoption of drone technology for surveillance and reconnaissance activities in North America.
- The market in Asia-Pacific is expected to showcase significant growth in the forthcoming years. The growth is attributable to the growing adoption of drones for industrial applications such as precision farming, aerial photography, crop monitoring, and others in the region between 2021 and 2028.
- The hybrid wing segment, based on type, held a market share of about 19.75% in 2020 and is expected to experience considerable growth owing to the rising adoption of the hybrid winged small drones for firefighting, disaster management, and wildlife survey purposes globally.
Table of Segmentation:
Value (USD billion)
By Maximum Take-off Weight