"Actionable Insights to Fuel Your Growth"
Region : Global | Published Date: Upcoming | Report ID: FBI100272| Status : Upcoming
The major contribution to the world’s total energy consumption is fossil fuel which are on a depleting stage due to its extensive utilization paving the way for alternate energy source. In the recent period, bio-methane is emerging as leading alternate energy source for CNG & LPG. The purified form of bio-methane is obtained by biogas using an anaerobic digester where organic matter i.e. manure, sewage sludge, agricultural waste breaks down in the absence of oxygen. The high-quality bio-methane can be injected in the natural gas grid to generate electricity or to use as a fuel in the vehicle. The advantage of bio-methane is a higher market value than biogas, sustainable energy form. Production of bio-methane does not require any dramatic interventions into nature and does not produce any significant risk of pollution or biodiversity loss. Rapid depletion of conventional energy resources and severe threat of global climatic change have forced the energy sector to look for alternative fuel and bio-methane is the best option to meet the rising demand.
The classification of bio-methane can be done on the basis of source of bio-methane production. From any organic waste, bio-methane can be produced including agricultural waste, municipal solid waste, animal manure, sewage sludge, food waste, and others. The most common method to obtain bio-methane is fermentation and gasification. In fermentation, bio-methane is obtained by drying up bio-gas and removing hydrogen sulphide & carbon dioxide to get pure bio-methane. Gasification convert biogas into bio-methane by gas cleaning and anaerobic digestion. Bio-methane primarily finds its application in power generation and automobiles.
To get information on various segments, share your queries with us
Bio-methane is a renewable form of energy and provides an alternative to CNG or LPG which expected in considerable growth of the bio-methane. The abundant availability of organic waste around the world for production of bio-methane make it universally accepted due to its environmental benefit. Bio-methane not only helps in decomposing organic waste but also produce valuable energy which drive the bio-methane market.
The technology used to produce bio-methane is under development stage and large scale production is not economically viable which is expected to inhibit bio-methane market. Bio-methane contain impurities which corrode metal parts of automobiles hindering the growth of the bio-methane
The leading companies in the bio-methane are PlanET Biogas, Clarke Energy, Engie, EnviTec Biogas, Bright Bio-methane, CNG Services Ltd., Landwärme GmbH, Verbio, SGN, Gasrec, Cadent Gas, Future Biogas Ltd, Bio-natural gas - EON, Ramboll Group, and Orbital Bio-methane.
· Agricultural waste
· Municipal solid waste
· Animal manure
· Sewage sludge
· Food waste
· Power Generation
· North America (USA and Canada)
· Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Russia and Rest of Europe)
· Asia Pacific (Japan, China, India, Australia, Southeast Asia and Rest of Asia Pacific)
· Latin America (Brazil, Mexico and Rest of Latin America)
· Middle East & Africa (South Africa, GCC and Rest of Middle East & Africa)
The global bio-methane is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East and Africa. North America is adopting alternate energy source to decrease the pollution caused by burning fossil fuel. The electricity consumption in United States is highest in North America and bio-methane can be used to meet the increasing demand of electricity. The energy and climate policies drafted in Europe and the introduction of various schemes to promote utilization of a sustainable form of energy drives the market of bio-methane in this region. United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, and France are leading countries in the production of bio-methane in Europe. Asia-Pacific is the suitable market for bio-methane as developing countries in Southeast Asia are intensively promoting the production of bio-methane on a large scale.
Key Industry Developments
· In April 2019, Automaker Seat announced a project for converting organic waste into bio-methane in Barcelona. The estimated bio-methane generated can propel 10,000 cars to travel 15,000km every year.
· In April 2019, ENI and Italian Biogas Consortium has signed an agreement to promote biomethane production from animal waste, agro-industrial by-products and dedicated winter crops for use in the transport sector.
· In February 2019, Engie has acquired Vol-V Biomasse to become a leading bio-methane producer in France. The company is committed to make an investment of €800 million over the next five-year and €2 billion by 2030 in developing its bio-methane project.